Gams

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Themed pages and products

It's always fun to get extra creative with your scrapbook supplies and use them for a purpose other than what they were intended.  I often find the creative challenge of that to be stimulating and fun.  But at the same time, sometimes it works to go by the ole phrase, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.  And the latter are just the type of projects I will be sharing with you today. 

I've never made it a secret of my love for the cute and bright designs that Doodlebug produces. They make some of the cutest theme-y papers and products in the industry. I dug into my stash of one of their older Christmas collections to pull together a festive page of my kiddos visiting Santa back in 2012.

Supplies used: Doodlebug Designs - cardstock (background), patterned papers, buttons, gems, 3 dimensional sticker; Bazzill - embossed cardstock (white); Elle's Studio - label; Studio Calico - sequins; Technique Tuesday - stamp (phrase); Stampin Up - ink; other: machine stitching, Veteran Typewriter font (journaling), Marmaletta font (title)
Since I went so 'literal' with the supplies and theme of the page, I challenged myself to get creative with the journaling.  Instead of telling the story from my perspective, I chose to write a letter to Santa in the voice of my children.  It was fun to document the memory from what I imagined would have been their perspective and gives the page a little more depth and meaning than the typical who, what, when where, why summary.

 
This next page uses many pieces from Doodlebug's recent fall themed 'Happy Harvest' collection.  The colors and theme were the perfect compliment to these joyful photos of my three frolicking in the fall leaves. 

Supplies used: American Crafts - cardstock (background); Bazzill - cardstock (red); Doodlebug Designs - patterned paper, sprinkles, twine, letter stickers, 4x6 album insert cards; Simon Says Stamp - heart die; My Mind's Eye - enamel dots; Other: foam adhesive, machine stitching; Veteran Typewriter font (journaling)
Again, to mix up the predictably of using a themed collection for it's intended theme, I got creative with the patterned paper.  Rather than use the paper in strips, squares or large pieces I chose to cut in in the shape of leaves (hand drawn) and scatter them down the right side of the page as if they were falling.
 
 
I hope these pages show you that even if you stick to the predictability of a themed product, there are plenty of other ways to infuse your own creativity into your design and journaling! 
 
Thanks for stopping by to visit me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment